OMG Finishes

Friday, April 29, 2016

April OMG Finish

Well my goal was to use up, and add to, a pile of pink and white half square triangles.
This was the design I started with-

While I like this design (and it is still laid out on my design floor!) it was starting to be bigger than what I needed for the baby quilt I had in mind. I will finish it but it will end up with a different home.
So the half square triangle making continued and I have finished this top which I do really like-
Don't be fooled by that blue sky. The day I decided to take the photos there was an autumn wind blowing and try as I may I couldn't get a shot with the quilt still. On saying that I like the lift the quilt has here.
I based the design on a quilt by Victoria Findlay Wolfe in the book Modern Baby however that one was made with pallelograms but I wanted an easy way to piece the top.
It is now on  Remy, the longarm, (who is behaving) having the ditch stitching done-then I need to decide how to quilt it-suggestions welcome.
Judi Madsen's of Green Fairy Quilts ruler, which I love for straight lines.

Wednesday, April 13, 2016

A Quilt of Firsts.

Another baby quilt using the Quilt Strippy pattern but this is one of some firsts for me.
So this probably looks like all the others that I have made with this pattern however-
This is the first quilt I have quilted on 'Remy' (as in Remy Martin-my favourite Cognac-and no I am not an alcoholic!!) my new to me Nolting Pro 24. I have never made a secret of the fact that my Funquilter and I have never really bonded (although it has been a lot better of late so isn't that typical), and have talked about getting a new machine with a bigger throat space for some time. Used Longarm Machines are not very often available to buy in New Zealand so when I found this one for sale I went to try it out and now it is mine. I am still on a learning curve with her, so I have been sewing up some tops to try her out.
All in all she ran pretty well for this quilt- no tension issues which I was so happy about.
Quilted with Glide thread and Magna Glide pre wound bobbins.

I had one problem when quilting this quilt  but I'm sure it wasn't the machine, however I had to change the needle 3 times!!!! during the quilting process -and that has never happened before so another first!.
I used a flannelette backing and a new to me polyester batting. The needle kept becoming blunt and this is what kept occurring-that is all the batting pushing through the backing. Is it because I loaded the batting up the wrong way? Any advice gratefully received.

Then the last first was I added a Flange Binding-

It's by no means perfect but I love the effect it gives.
I had trouble keeping my stitch line in the right spot so there are some places on the back where I have stitched onto the binding, but I'm sure with more practice that will improve.
It certainly gives the quilt finish a lift and it is not that hard to do. I followed the Missouri Star Quilt Company You Tube Video that explains the process very well.
So another finish and more to come from Remy.

Tuesday, April 5, 2016

April OMG

I'm using the linking a OMG to get projects completed that need to be done and then I can just potter with other things along the way whether they take a while to finish or not-like no pressure.
So for April I have another baby quilt that needs to be gifted before the little girl starts crawling!!
I have this pile of half square triangles that I have no idea of why or when I made them. So my plan is to add to this pile and then to at least get them sewn into a quilt top. It would be nice to actually get it quilted as well but we will see if I get that far.